Friday 17 September 2021

Hello! Prize Ribbon!

 Hi There,

Today I want to share two cards I recently created featuring the newest Distress Collection colour from Tim Holtz & Ranger ie. Prize Ribbon!

                 I closely followed techniques described by one of my favourite designers:-

             Stacy Zimmerman Hutchinson (Tattered Nest Designs)

I was totally in love with her card design featuring this colour & the gorgeous Floral Outlines Stamp from Stamper's Anonymous. 

 She has a fabulous blog post explaining these beautiful watercolour techniques that you can find here.

To make these 6 x 6" cards I cut sheets of white mixed media heavy stock paper down to 5 1/2"for my background.  Keep the off cuts from the 8 1/2 x 11" cardstock sheets to create all the other embellishment layers including the moth & sentiment.  

I firstly randomly stamped with Prize Ribbon Distress Ink & a fine dotted background stamp.
I then stamped the floral designs randomly in 3 places on each with the design flowing off the edges.
I applied Prize Ribbon embossing glaze sparingly & randomly to areas of the stamping before heat embossing.  The images were then blurred & softened by applying water with a soft brush.  I love this water colour effect.

On the left over cardstock I stamped a whole range of small ticket, labels & shapes to layer as embellishments including the moth focal point.
I grouped these on the background & took a photo to refer back to when assembling the card later.

The contrasting colours of Distress Inks were applied with a fine tip water brush. The colours I used were Fossilized Amber & Crackling Campfire as well as more layers of Prize Ribbon & water to give extra depth to the flowers & the moth.

I also applied some extra random stamping with the Fig. stamp above & a small honeycomb & text stamp below.

Simple fussy cutting was done with the labels as all the shapes were quite simple. I left all the edges uncoloured which adds to the contrast between the blue & white. I brushed these labels with a little water to give a softened effect as well.

Simple sewing with white thread frames the card & a circular bunch of thread was layered under the moth.

I love how the application of water softens & washes out the dotted background.  I applied more dots & repeated the water colour effect where it faded out too much.  Became more of a speckled effect.

I also applied tiny dots of white distress paint to the centres of the flowers to give the effect of stamens.  I did this after taking the photos, but you can see this effect on Stacy's blog post.

The moths were stamped with Hickory Smoke distress ink on a paper scrap (in a stamp positioner), water coloured & dried.  Stamped again with Prize Ribbon Distress Oxide & heat embossed with Frosted Crystal & Prize Ribbon Distress Glaze before die cutting. 

Hope you enjoy all the lovely water coloured layers on this card.  Will definitely have to try some other colour combinations soon.

Cheers for now,

Deb Adams

1 comment:

  1. Wow…love the look of these!! I will have to try as I have PRIZE RIBBON & the outline stamp❤️